Mumbai Jogging!

Photo : Mumbai as seen from my camera!
Mumbai Jogging: Sense of Belonging!

DISCLAIMER:
It's true that we can't understand a place, its people, society, human psyche and culture in a week. I am not saying that whatever has been observed by me is the ultimate truth for Mumbai. Maybe am wrong. As this is an individual observation/experience. But I can say this is my IMPRESSION about this city which will remain till I get an opportunity to be there for a longer time.

So you are wondering why the title Mumbai Jogging?

Well, that is what I felt in Mumbai, throughout my stay here. I was in Mumbai last week. This was my first trip to this city. From the morning till evening the cool breeze from the sea shore kept me enthusiastic, full of spirit. It felt like I was jogging here, no fatigue, simply fresh. I heard, read a lot about Mumbai. No doubt Bollywood movies provided a window to this place. Hey! Doesn’t every one of us feel that we all know lot about Mumbai? So much exposure of this city through Cinema that it feels we have already been to this place if not in reality maybe in some previous birth. Every nook & corner, festival, society has been depicted in some or other mainline, art commercial cinema. Such is the charm. So is the city.

As the taxi zoomed out of the Mumbai Central station I was welcomed by a totally different Landscape from Delhi, with the special ingredient called the pleasant weather. The roads with tiles giving impression of a complete jigsaw puzzle, the old buildings, all with imperial touch. There were tall, slouching coconut trees, narrating how fierce this breeze turns during monsoon time. The buildings having windows with fences, questioning the mind that why the person on the top floor wished to live so high from the ground? The taxi picked up the speed of 120 kmph throughout the journey! Isn’t this something we are missing here in Delhi? All the roads clear, traffic free, buses with decent number of passengers. I wondered where the people of the so big city have gone. When I asked the driver he replied with his Mumbaiyaa Hindi:  "क्या है भाई यहाँ पर लोग हमेशा जल्दी  में रहता है जहाँ से तुमको  बैठाया वहां भी traffic  नहीं मिलेगा" that majority of the population here travels by Mumbai Local. So the buses and roads are not the full of traffic even at peak hours. I don't know how true his statement was but with the comfort of his foot resting on the accelerator I concluded yes brother you are right carry on. Amazing the speed was. Sitting in front I was feeling great with the breeze keeping eyes full of happiness.

The other day I was waiting for the bus number 500 for Vikroli. The bus station was clean, and the to my surprise the buses were not standing idle at the bus station, rather, at a regular interval they were leaving the bus station. I thought BEST (the Mumbai Road Transport Service) is following the principle of Airline Industry where the theory is that an Aeroplane should be in the Air not standing idle in the bay/airport. So was the buses here, not standing idle, rather plying with their schedule. This is something missing here in Delhi. The other thing to praise was the crisp, clean uniform of the bus staff (driver/conductor). The uniform has the name plate of the conductor; with the emblem of M.R.T.C I never saw such respect for the uniform here in Delhi. The Conductor here in Mumbai will come to your seat and ask for the ticket/s. That is what the definition of an ideal Public Transport is. Mutual respect and understanding between the Travellers/Passengers and the Transport Organisation. And I did ride the lifeline of Mumbai; the Mumbai Local Trains and didn't find anything local about it. Rather they are high speed, regular, durable, reliable transport medium and commute thousands of passengers’ to-and-fro in this big city. People are helpful. They will try to help you as best as they can, and will not stray you with false information.

Hey! Am I going too overboard in stretching the Transport theory?

Boring you?

Ok! Well this was just one of my general observations there.

I am still to come with my agenda i.e. 'SENSE OF BELONGING'. What it is? How it comes? And what are the requirements/conditions/necessities? Well, I thought of boring you with all of my good experiences in Mumbai. All of my 12 days stay experience here. But, then I had some bad experiences too. And we all  are aware that this human tendency to curse and to hold on all bad experiences, events more with him. So am trying to balance myself in going to extremes.

I was duped by two auto drivers here in MUMBAI as well. Not for one time but for two. This is also a part here in this write-up. I was duped not by a Maharasthrain/Marathi auto driver but, sadly by North-India migrant auto driver, who cunningly sensed my helplessness as a stranger to this city and charged me Rs 70 for a travel/distance of Rs 12, with excuses of his Auto tariffs, taxes, timings and blah blah concepts which only god can understand. And that is not all, further he tried to show how street smart he was by telling us to which hotel to go and how to bargain with hotel owner for off-season discounts. For that moment we thought he was helping us. I thanked him for his helpful attitude. But, later on I realized he was not worth of it. Trust me I was very furious and gave all the गाली (abusive words) possible to him. I cursed him. Although this was just a very small incident in thousands of similar incidents, but the underlying theme is very broad for human conscience to understand. This was the point when I realized that what Sense of Belonging is and how it comes.

It comes when you owe your life to a place, which you call your motherland, native place or hometown. It comes when you have a Language to speak, to write. It comes when you have an Inborn Identity as a resident of that place. And it comes when you hail from a prospered area and you feel proud of it. Unfortunately, in this case there was a migrant from North India, who had nothing to do with Maharasthra, its culture, its traditions, its people and why not? After all he didn't owe anything to here. He had only one thing in mind; to make money. I am not saying that the auto driver is to be blamed. He can't be blamed because he is financially poor, for sure. Neither I am not with blame game here. I am just trying to understand how can we  inject 'SENSE OF BELONGING' in our Moral Veins?


.............................................................................................(to be continued)

What you think? Am waiting for your views? Maybe we can make some further additions to  it.

Harish Benjwal

.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Delhi Gate

Aamir Khan

Band Baja aur Baraat!