Wheels of Fortune

Image Courtesy : clipart-for-free.blogspot.com
Wheels of Fortune : Dilemma sorted out!

No! It’s not vicious circle, or back-to-the-basics type of story. It was just because of the ‘Necessity’ that I purchased the zero-emission bicycle. It was after 14 years I rode a cycle. People progress from bicycle to motorcycle and to car and so. And here I was feeling proud of this cycle. Why shouldn’t I? After all am contributing a bit towards the environment by riding a noise free, maintenance free, and fuel free bike. What you think? Well, that is a bit of boasting and some consoling of heart at the same time. Kya motorcycle milti to main wo na leta? Hai na? ajeeb baat karta hai. Yes, I would have purchased a bike. But then that didn’t make sense to me. Neither I had an urgent need (Necessity, remember?) for present. Emergency was a different aspect. I purchased the cycle for several good purposes: to go to-and-fro to the nearby market, post office, bank, to meet neighborhood friend, to do some strength building exercise by challenging myself for long haul and to remain calm happy.

So, the purchase of the bicycle was a worth buy and equally entertaining. Before zeroing on this Indian make cycle I was under the spell of a foreign make for which I  made up mind and fatten the wallet. I went to the showroom with anxiousness and asked the representative there for the price of the bike. He told me the details and clarified that there was no warranty from the showroom side, no services, no accessories. My heart was bleeding with the one by one announcements of the representative. I asked what about the basic accessories. He replied: “Sir that you will have to purchase separately”. That means investment of uncertainty. After five minutes of introspection, my heart replied reluctantly: “NO”.   

I went out in search of some Indian make to console my heart. And from the gleam of a well designed showroom I went to the shop of an Indian bicycle’ leading brand. And here I found some peace of mind. For the very first reason that the dealer asked:  Bhaai sahab kiske liye cycle chahiye? I said: “mere liye bhaai kyun?” the dealer replied that generally people like you who are doing some job are going towards motorbikes, and cars. Before I could reply he directed his mechanic: “oye sun bhaai ke liye godown se bike nikaal ke laa. Bhaai ko Gym jaane ke liye chahiye” (now I don’t know from where he brought the self-concocted Gym aspect). But I smiled. I told him about the showroom, he jeered and said “bhaai wo log apni cycle hamare yahan se theek karwaate hain. nahin bikne waali cycle unki, dekhna. bade aaye bideshi”. I nodded. He asked : "Bhaai  garam-thanda-chaai kuch?  This was something I didn’t hear in the showroom. Marketing difference of heart we can say. I thanked him.

It took nearly one and half hour to the mechanic to properly assemble each nut & bolt of the machine. I watched patiently. And then the ride came, the tension free ride. In seconds I was away from the bustling market, from the noise. Riding a bicycle after 14 years was so exhilarating. It’s beyond any word/s’ frame. The very first day I rode the cycle for 10kms.  And it was peaceful. And imaginary reflection of Harish Benjwal in front of me gave a thumbs up!

- Harish Benjwal

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Delhi Gate

Aamir Khan

Band Baja aur Baraat!